"This organization offers relief from spiritual and intellectual ignorance, relief from poverty and suffering, relief from sorrow and loneliness, relief from the evils of the world, relief from cynicism and doubt." --Barbara Smith

Saturday, January 28, 2012

THE GREAT IDEA SWAP!

We are so excited about our "Great Idea Swap!" We figure that with 1200+ women in our stake, we have an amazing resource for great ideas. We also know that everyone is unique and has something to offer! In recognition of this, we would like to ask you for your best "ideas" or "tips" that help to make your life easier or more fulfilling. While you may not be an expert in any particular category, you may have methods, products or systems that work well for you and may be just the idea someone else needs to help them in that area. You won't be asked to teach a class, but some of your ideas may be highlighted at our Women's Conference in March. Just to get you thinking, we've broken down the categories into a more detailed list in the hopes that you will have an "aha" moment and be willing to share your ideas with us. Click here to see this list. To submit your ideas or tips, you can either add it to a comment on this blog, e-mail it to whatarelief2012@gmail.com, or add it to the "idea" jar that will be in your Relief Society room. Please label your idea with the category it falls under, your name and ward. Also, if you don't see a category listed that you want to contribute in, just write it on your idea submittal. Thanks! We can't wait to learn from you!

7 comments:

  1. What to do with photos tip:
    Each of my children has a separate photo album they can take with them when they move out. To keep my scrapbooking manageable with four children, I do only four pages a year for each child. Around their birthdays, I look through the last year of pictures and do a 12 x 12 collage for each season. I do digital scrapbooking through the free and easy to use Picasa from Google.
    Teresa Gehring
    Orchard 2nd Ward
    801-296-0340

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been creating scrapbook and photo albums for my family for the last 25 years. As we have entered the digital age I have felt cluttered by the hundreds of books that are now laying about my home collecting dust. I often wonder if there were to be a fire how could i possibly grab all my memories.
    It has occurred to me that I could scan all the pictures one by one but there is so much overlap in the books and with over a hundred large albums the task seems more daunting than Everest.
    Last summer for my birthday my son bought me a film scan. This small device allows me to scan my negatives and slides.
    When I have a few minutes I scan in a roll or two of film and create a folder in my computer. This modern device has given my hope that I may someday be able to digitize all my photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I am the film scan person~ Lisa Adair~ Orchard 2nd

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the idea, Lisa. I am impressed that you have hundreds of books! I've managed about 20 in the same amount of time....but I know how you feel (on a smaller scale!)
      Alana

      Delete
    3. I felt the same way Lisa--how am I going to carry all these books out of the house in an emergency? And I don't have near the books you have. The ones that I spent the most time on and are the most precious to me are my kids baby albums. They were 8x10 and 8 1/2 x 11 size and so I did go through and scan each page in. I now have the physical copy, the copy on my computer, a copy on my external hard drive, and a copy uploaded to a website (Picasa), so now I don't have those fears. A bonus was realizing that I could then print them in 4x6 and now the kids have a mini-album that they loved to take to church when they were little.

      Delete
  4. over ripe fruit? Do not be too quick to throw it out. Grapes, peaches, bananas, all types of berries and other fruit if it has not spoiled can be frozen. No special treatment is needed if it only stays a month or so in your freezer. I add it too milk, ice and yogurt to make all kinds of delicious frosty treats.

    Lisa Adair~ Orchard 2nd

    ReplyDelete